Older Cats – Skin, Hair And Nails

As a cat ages, her skin will start to lose elasticity and become dry and thin making her more prone to irritation and infection. To the aging cat, lumps and bumps on and/or under the skin become more common. Her grooming habits will become less conscientious (many times due to other physical ailments such as […]

Signs Of Liver Disease In Older Cats

The signs of liver disease in older cats may appear rather quick or more slowly. Symptoms include loss of appetite and weight loss, increased thirst, dark yellow urine, fluid buildup in the abdomen (which may be mistaken for the beginning of obesity), and jaundice (the yellowing of the skin, gums, and the whites of the […]

Common Geriatric Cat Health Problems

The following list, in no particular order, are of common health care problems seen in geriatric cats: Diabetes mellitus Kidney Disease (CRF, chronic renal failure) Hyperthyroidism Cardiomyopathy (heart disease) Skin Tumors Periodontal disease (dental disease) Dietary issues (obesity or special needs) Inflammatory bowel disease Hypertension (high blood pressure)

Schedule Biannual Checkups For Your Senior Cat

Although it is recommended that all cats should be given an annual exam, veterinarians today are now recommending that they should receive biannual (or twice yearly) exams beginning at age seven. Twice-a-year checkups for your aging cat are very important and should be made a top priority in maintaining and prolonging a high-quality life for […]

Hyperadrenocorticism (Cushing’s Disease) In Cats

Cushing’s disease is when the adrenal glands produce too much cortisol and is often the result of a cancer. This cancer, about 80 percent of the time, resides in the pituitary gland and causes the cats adrenals to continue to produce more hormone than is needed. In the remaining 20 percent of the time, it […]

Danger Signs In The Geriatric Cat

Take your cat to the veterinarian immediately if you notice any of the following danger signs exhibited by your geriatric cat. Loss of weight or appetite. Difficulty moving about or weakness. Rapid, labored breathing, coughing, or shortness of breath. Change in her bowel function with constipation or diarrhea. An increase in thirst and/or frequency of […]

Older Cats And Urinary Problems

As cats get older, they are prone to urinary problems. One such problem is cystitis which is a bladder infection that results in frequent urination and sometimes blood in the urine. Kidney and bladder problems can also occur. Symptoms of these include offensive breath, frequent urination or not being able to urinate, and noticeably increased […]

Shop DogKennels.com Today!